Apart from not containing animal products, this loaf comes free of refined sugars or flours. Perfect for breakfast any other time of the day 🙂
- 4 bananas overripe
- 2 cups of flour of choice (I used whole- wheat)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened plant milk
- 1/4 cup of dates (soaked)
- 1/8 cup of quick oats
- 1 tsp cacao powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar (or other acid)
- 1 tsp baking soda (NOT powder 🙂
- 1/2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (356° F)
- In a bowl, mash the bananas with a fork or potato masher, until completely runny.
- To make the ‘buttermilk’ combine the vinegar into the chosen plant milk and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor (or in a bowl) mash your previously soaked dates until a paste is formed.
- Add the date paste back to your bowl with the bananas, along with the vanilla extract and ‘buttermilk’
- Once all wet ingredients are combined, in a sifter add your: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cacao, nutmeg and salt.
- Once sifted, gently fold the dry mixture into the wet ingredients with the use of a spatula (do not over mix).
- Now, finish by folding in the quick oats and any other desired mix ins (eg: walnuts, blueberries, dark chocolate chips, etc.)
- Pour mixture into a greased mold and bake for 1 hour!
- Serve warm or cooled and enjoy!