When in the mood for comfort food, this is the recipe you want to go to! While it is just as satisfying as the regular dish, this recipe calls for a vegetable as the base of the sauce! (a perfect way to add your veggies in 🙂
- 1 cup of cauliflower florets
- 1 cup cashews* (soaked)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 cup soy milk unsweetened
- 1 cube of veggie broth
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp lemon juice/ vinegar
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Begin by steaming the cauliflower and boiling the cashews until soft and tender (you don’t need to boil the cashews if they were previously soaked).
- Roast your onion and garlic in an oven/ air fryer (optional)
- In a pot, heat the soy/ plant milk and add in the cube of veggie broth inside. Bring to a boil and stir until dissolved.
- In a high speed blender, place the cooled cauliflower & cashews, along with the onion & garlic. You can also add in the seasonings (mustard, lemon juice, nutmeg, salt & pepper).
- Begin blending and as you do so, gradually pour in the soy milk mixture.
- Blend until achieving a thick and creamy sauce (there should be no chunks at this point)– Make sure you like the taste and add more seasonings if desired.
- Now, cook your pasta of choice according to package instructions. Once ready, drain them well and add back to pot along with your alfredo sauce (I like adding in green peas for some additional veggies/protein 😉
- Serve hot and enjoy!
- If you cannot access cashews, you could try substituting them for another cup of cauliflower or one stick of margarine (these have not yet been tested).