This sweet consists of tapioca pearls cooked in milk or cream. Coconut milk is a typical addition, yet I found that using coconut cream in the cooking process provides the pudding with the richness usually obtained from heavy cream. This treat can be enjoyed right away (after cooking) or cold (after refrigeration). I personally love it warm, as it is much more comforting and reminds me of rice pudding (coming soon ;)
- 1/3 cup of tapioca pearls
- 1 can coconut cream (or full-fat coconut milk)
- 1 cup of water
- 1/4 cup sweetener (agave, maple syrup, brown- sugar…)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1 pinch salt
- In a saucepan, soak the tapioca pearls in the water for about 30 minutes. Keep the water (don’t drain) after soaking.
- Transfer the pot to the stove. Add in the coconut cream and sea salt. Cook on medium heat, stirring regularly.
- Once the mixture has come to a gentle boil, turn the heat to low and simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The consistency should be thick.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes. Now, add in the liquid sweetener and vanilla extract.
- Serve warm or cold, with the toppings of your choice (ex; fresh fruit, cinnamon, nuts…)
- This recipes can be kept in a sealable container in the fridge for up to a week.