- 1.5 cups almond flour (145g)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose (100g)
- 1 cup confectioners sugar (120g)
- 3 tbsp flaxseed meal (25g)
- 3 tbsp of chia seed meal (25g)
- 5 tsp baking powder (25g)
- 6 tbsp margarine (85g)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract (16ml)
- 1- 2 tsp of rum (optional)
- 2 sticks margarine
- 1- 2.5 cups confectioners sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tsp coffee granules (+ 1 tbsp water)
- 125g dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup plant milk of choice
- Preheat your oven to 190°C
- In a bowl, sift the flours (x2), sugar, baking powder, cornstarch (2 tsp)
- Combine the chia and flax meal in a bowl, and add 12 tbsp of water. Allow to sit for about 5 mins and the stir in the vanilla extract.
- Cream the margarine with the sugar on med-high speed until fluffy (approximately 3 mins).
- Add in the vegan eggs (step 2) and whip on high for 30 seconds.
- Add in the sifted ingredients (step 1) all at once. Mix on med-high.
- Pour batter onto a lined baking tray. Bake in preheated oven for 15 mins, turn down the temperature to 150°C and cook for 10 more mins.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 10- 20 mins.
- Now, lift the edges slightly and cut into rectangular- sized pieces.
- Place the tray in the freezer and in the meantime prepare the buttercream ⬇️
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, add the vegan butter & vanilla. Gradually mix in the confectioner’s sugar. Whisk until fluffy.
- Take away 1/4 of the plain buttercream from the mixing bowl, and set it aside in another bowl.
- Back in the bowl of your stand mixer, add the cocoa powder (this will make your chocolate buttercream).
- Now, take away half of the chocolate buttercream, and place it with the plain portion that was set aside (step 2). You can now add the diluted coffee granules and rum (this makes the mocha buttercream).
- In a stovetop or microwave safe bowl, heat up the plant milk. Once hot, remove from the fire and add in the chocolate. Stir until smooth.
- (For the assembly, you might choose to use a rectangular cake mold, in order to facilitate the process)
- First layer: Place 1 of the rectangular-cut Joconde pieces as the base of the cake. Now, add 1/2 of the mocha buttercream.
- Second layer: Place the 2nd piece of Joconde on top, slightly pressing down. Now, add the entire batch of chocolate buttercream on top, spreading it out evenly with a spatula.
- Third layer: Finally, place the last piece of Joconde on top, and finish it off with the remaining half of the mocha buttercream.
- Place in the freezer (covered) for at about an hour to let it set (you could instead to let is set in the fridge overnight). In the meantime, prepare the chocolate ganache ⬆️
- Remove from the freezer/fridge and absorb the moisture emitted from the buttercream, using a paper towel.
- You can now top it off with the chocolate ganache (should be cooled).
- You could choose to cut the edges, with the use of a sharp knife.
- Decorate with the toppings of choice (gold leaves, tuiles, flowers, etc).
- Place back in the fridge/ freezer to allow the ganache to set.
- Serve and enjoy!!